POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MLPov crash with HDRI : Re: MLPov crash with HDRI Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MLPov crash with HDRI
From: Mael
Date: 7 Mar 2003 06:23:40
Message: <3e68813c$1@news.povray.org>
> I have been using mlPov for some time with Terragen generated HDR images
> (either mapped on a cube or assembled with Sean O' Malley's cube2cross
> program  http://www.cs.uh.edu/~somalley/). It always crashes when the HDR
> image (lightprobe) is wider than it is tall with map_type 7 for a sphere.

I tried resizing a lightprobe with hdrshop then render it with map_type 7 on
a sphere but no crash. What was the size of the image ?

> The one I have a problem with, is that it seems to be crashing with an
> access violation, when the image is large. With a 4 Mb HDR image, it
works.
> With a 12 Mb or larger one, it crashes. I haven't yet found the exact size
> where this happens. The 4 Mb image is the one that comes from 400X400 px
> cube frames and the 14 Mb one from 800X800 ones. And I was hoping to be
> able to use even larger ones! The small frames show a pixelated background
> in wallpaper size renders.

There is a limitation in the current Read_HDR_Image function : image width
must be < 2048 (with no test so if it s bigger => crash). It could easily be
corrected but i do not plan to release any new mlpov version, so you'll have
to wait for a megapov with high dynamic range images support (or recompile
mlpov with a buffer size > 2048)